Friday, January 30, 2009

Tom and Jerry and Charter Communications

I woke up with pink eye today for the 2nd time this month, the cold that began a month ago rages on, and the night sweats that began 2 years ago continue nightly. My body is ultimately run down and I can't figure out how to bring my immune system back up to normal. My appointments at the clinic went well today. I picked up some kit to measure my oxygen level at night with and had an ultrasound of my thyroid and lymph nodes done. Tomorrow I get to have some blood work done and begin my 24 hour pee collection. In three weeks I'm having more blood work done, an appointment with the sleep clinic, and if nothing else turns up then a full body CT scan will be ordered. I'm trying to stay positive but am beginning to feel a bit down.

I am so thankful for the constant laughter that we have in our home. The newest thing is the girls absolutely love watching Tom and Jerry. They just bust out laughing at it every time. I was so thankful it was on tonight because it provided tons of laughs. I can't believe that show is still airing!

Oh yeah, one last thing. Not sure if I mentioned that we got sick of Charter messing up our bills, telling us one thing and charging us another. We switched our TV to Digital Satellite and our Internet to Qwest. It's a high speed that runs through our phone line. We couldn't be happier with both services! A few days ago we received a mysterious check from them. Today we heard the news and immediately deposited the check. In case you haven't heard, here are some news snippets:
"On January 28, 2009, Charter Communications reportedly filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Four former executives received criminal indictments in 2005 for accounting fraud related primarily to the inflation of cable subscriber numbers. The company has been under financial pressure; its stock peaked at $27.75 per share in November 1999, before falling to under $1 in 2002.[3]

Charter has been criticized for poor customer support and frequent billing consistency issues, causing the Better Business Bureau to post [9] a warning to consumers about the company:

The Better Business Bureau has received numerous complaints regarding this cable, digital TV, and high speed Internet access provider. Complainants primarily allege that the firm had improper billing practices, referred customer bills to collection agencies in error, provided poor customer service, used misleading advertising, provided defective Internet or cable performance, used improper sales tactics or misrepresented the actual costs of installation and service, failed to properly install or maintain service, damaged customers' property, and failed to honor service appointments.

PCWorld also ranked Charter's cable Internet service as worst among 14 major Internet service providers.[10] Charter High-Speed is the second-worst-rated cable ISP on dslreports.com [11] and Consumer Reports indicated in their February 2008 issue that Charter's television/Internet/telephone bundle collectively is the worst of all major national carriers."

2 comments:

Karin said...

Ack, not good news about Charter! Will have to tell Ken about this tomorrow!

And even worse news about all the stuff you're dealing with, healthwise right now! Double ack!

Hanne said...

Suzanne,

so sorry you are not feeling well! I will pray you get better soon and that you get results on your tests soon so that they can start working on whatever is wrong!
Madeline has gotten some sort of cold too and is so stuffed up it makes me want to cry! She is a champ though, even when she can't eat due to being a nose breather.
Lots of hugs to you,
Hanne