Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pacifier Trouble!

New Years Day Ellie bit through her last pacifier. We knew the day was coming to wean her and we've been dreading it. It seems harder with her than with Mikayla mostly because Ellie even has a nickname for it--Happy. She is always looking for her "happy" and when it is found, there is instant gratification. We tried last night for a long time putting her to bed without it and I finally caved and found the broken one. Today I bought the kind similar to the green Soothie brand pacifier that we've had since she was born at Mayo that the hospital gave us. I bought the blue Soothie that is intended for older kids. I knew from the past that she hates this kind and it is more sturdy. I'm trying that now for naptime today. I'm just at a loss though and wish this was easier. Any ideas out there? We have limited the pacifier to naptime and bedtime with ease, but taking the thing away completely is so hard! We also were making strides on potty training, but I've put that on hold while we try to deal with this transition. I don't want to make all of us too crazy! Here is one of my favorite pictures of Ellie with her beloved "Happy." This New Year will be rocking with changes Elyana will make as we wean the pacifier, potty train her, and get her ready for preschool next Fall. Wow!

1 comment:

Hanne said...

I am not sure I have any good advice, bu I say stick with it. If you give in she'll expect that again each time she wants it and it will prolong the process of getting rid of it.
You might be miserable for a few days, but it will work out in the end!
I told Michael his was dirty (he hated dirty things), so you might get away with letting her know it is broken and showing her how it is broken.
Good luck! And good idea to wait with the potty training!