Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Jones' Labor Day Weekend

After weeks of Elyana telling me that it is her beloved monkey's birthday, I decided to actually give Monkey a party. We bought a little 8x8 plain cake and put some yellow frosting in the shape of a banana on it. Our neighbor Christi gave us a plastic banana for Monkey's present, which we wrapped up. (Monkey now sits at the high chair by us and must have that banana to "eat" at every meal.) Christi, can't thank you enough, I am no longer finding squished bananas around. Monkey evidently doesn't like the real ones now. We even blew up a few balloons for the party. Yes, we even sang "Happy Birthday" to Monkey as Elyana blew out his/her candle. Monkey had such a great time that he got a bit of frosting on him and had to go in the washer. I swear, if that monkey needs to be washed one more time, he will fall apart. Elyana is so attached to the thing that she sat outside with Monkey as he was drying in the sunshine. At least she has finally stopped asking about Monkey's birthday. By the way, in case you wondered, Monkey is now 4. Here are some precious photo moments from the party:




Also this weekend, my mom helped me to make bolster pillows for the girls' beds. I wanted to make them with cording but I couldn't find any that would work. I also couldn't find foam in tube form and had to roll up the 1" flat foam into a tube. I think if I did it again, I would make a pillow with the polyfill stuff and then make a bolster pillow cover to put it in. It would be squishier that way. Since the pillows were complete, they have already turned into swords, boats and tree branches that little sloths could hang from (my kids think sloths are cool thanks to Diego). Now that this project is done, I have a little more confidence with the sewing machine and am considering attempting this cool pattern I saw at the store for bean bag chairs. I could get material to match our family room.





No comments: