I went away this weekend with 10 other women from our church to a beautiful "cabin" on Pettenwell Lake. Nate decided to wean Ellie from her pacifier while I was gone. I didn't have the heart to take away her "happy." Before I left, I cut the end off of it and that alone made me feel sad. Nate said it was a little rough at first. She kept asking him to fix it. "Happy broken..." she would say. The first night she woke up at midnight and was awake at 5 am. (It doesn't help matters that the clocks have had to change!) The next night was similar. She went back to sleep easily he said. She hasn't asked for it since, but it has taken up to two hours of being called back into her room before she goes to sleep. Praise God she is sleeping through the night and waking at a normal time. Nap time so far isn't as bad. Monday at nap time Ellie started to give me a hard time. She never actually asked for her pacifier, but I could tell she was having a hard time relaxing. I showed her her broken pacifier. She told me to put it back and chose to cuddle with Mikayla's framed Kindergarten picture and went right to sleep. That is so incredibly sweet. It must be that she's my last, but I can't seem to actually throw the thing away. The last night she was sucking on it before I left, I kept thinking of her as my baby still...
There are a couple of things that she's started doing lately. Not sure where she's picked them up from, but they are pretty cute. She's constantly nodding her head in response to a question. When playing hide and seek, she steps a little into a room and announces, "Nothing" and looks somewhere else. I think she knows you might be hiding in there, but is afraid to look. She also gets incredibly excited on Tuesdays when we visit the bookmobile on the way to take Mikayla to school. Last night I was struggling to get her to fall asleep and I told her she had to get some sleep so we could wake up and visit the "book bus." It seemed to do the trick and this morning as soon as Mikayla came downstairs and sat down, Ellie climbs on her and says, "Book bus today Kayla, book bus!!!" I was surprised she remembered. I'm guaranteed on Tuesdays that she will get dressed without a fight. One Tuesday, I didn't know where she was and she was already at the garage door, struggling with her coat. She still is reading a little more each day and is very passionate about her books.
Mikayla got to go on her second field trip this month and went to the Planetarium. I've never been to one and almost last minute found a sitter for Ellie.
Also this week, we checked out the new pizza buffet (Cici's) next to the new South Goodwill store. It was really good and very busy. Ellie surprised us all by asking to go potty. She's never asked to do that unless we were at home and I am holding a bag of M & M's!
Mikayla and I have colds AGAIN! I think it's been less than a week since we got over our last round. I'm hoping they ease up before I have to go to the sleep clinic Friday night. Otherwise, they'll for sure say I have breathing issues.
Well, next week is our 10 year anniversary. I know how some people say that time has flown by. It has seemed to go quickly, yet we've been through quite a bit together in the last 10 years. Can't wait to celebrate next weekend (which reminds me I need to confirm a sitter...). We are celebrating officially in April with a long weekend at a resort in Lutsen, MN. I love you honey.
1 comment:
Oh, your stories about Ellie giving up her pacifier just KILL me - I SOOOO remember those days! It is a hard thing to "let go" as a mom - they grow up so fast! I think the "Happy broken" would have done me in! :-)
BTW - I just LOVE that motto to live by that you have on your blog!! It cracks me up so much that I think I might have to print it out and put it on my frig. (hmmm...maybe I should reconsider that. It'd be great for my heart, but rather bad for my hips!!) :-)
Have a great week!
Post a Comment