Anyway, we have had unusual weather this "fall." Random snow and tons of rain. Friday was especially weird as it rained all morning and turned into heavy wet snow. Around dinnertime, the power went out. When I called to report it, there was this recording that said, "The SW part of Rochester is experiencing a power outage, if you have any tips on finding the source, stay on the line. Also stay on the line if you are not in SW Rochester and have an outage. So, I stayed on the line and went I got through, the lady told me that the outage affected most of Rochester." Well, since I couldn't make dinner, and I thought I probably couldn't order a pizza (they might have lost power), it was peanut butter and jelly for dinner.
It got me thinking that I wasn't prepared for emergencies very well. My can opener was electric and most of our food had to be cooked on the stove or microwave. I was also glad for cell phones as our phones didn't work either for some reason. Anyway, I decided to enjoy the snow and make the most of it. I made the largest snowman I've ever made and pulled the kids around the yard on the sled. The weird thing is the next day it all melted and I have the chore of raking up heavy wet leaves. I let the girls put on snow suits to play in the wet leaf piles. We all were totally wet and dirty and the three of us had to have baths when we got inside. Here are some pictures of our temporary snow:

(Jen, recognize the hat?)


I also wanted to add that I absolutely love craigslist and freecycle. I had a nice CD storage unit that didn't really hold Cd's. I made due with it for several years. I saw a freecycle post for a free wooden CD storage tower. I picked it up and it was just what I needed. Then, I sold my old CD storage cabinet on craigslist. Nice. I'm trying to sell my old Roomba iRobot vacuum now. It needs a new battery which is $69 dollars. The batteries just don't last very long and I can buy a whole new vacuum (which I need) by the time I replace several Roomba batteries. I will miss it. I used the Roomba vacuum every other day!
No comments:
Post a Comment