Monday, March 31, 2008

Recent Mikaylaisms and Brainy Baby

Last weekend when visiting my mom in Madison, Mikayla asked her, "What does 'swear' mean?" She of course explained that it was something bad to say that you shouldn't say. Mikayla seemed confused and replied, "My mommy says it all the time." My mom discussed this conversation with me and I discussed it with Mikayla. We realized that what Mikayla hears me say quite frequently is, "I swear! You kids are driving me crazy!"

Later this week we were praying for her friend Hannah who is still in ICU. She interupted my prayers to say, "You know, God is bigger than all of us." "I know, that's so true," I replied. "Honey, do you know what that means?" Mikayla responded, "I don't have a clue."

Yesterday we were doing our monthly grocery shopping. She pointed out the letter "R." She said, "That sneaky "r!" It hides in the calendar on the names of the months at school." I think she was referring to "February." Pretty cute.

Lately, Elyana has kind of been freaking us out with her intelligence. As you know, she's always found with her little nose in a book (preferably an alphabet book). She is really "reading" them now, saying things like, "Y, Yak. R, rainbow. A, apple, etc." Recently, she's discovered the Elmo keyboard game on Sesame Street Workshop online
(http://www.sesameworkshop.org/sesamestreet/games/flash.php?contentId=9495524).
Now, she is saying the letters AND the word before pressing the letter keys on the keyboard. Mikayla doesn't even find her letters on the keyboard that quick.



Well, it's spring break for Mikayla now. It's only Monday mid-morning and it's sleeting outside. We are already going stir crazy. I have to get some play dates or something lined up...

1 comment:

Jen Elder said...

Regarding the "r" comment. Wow, she's right! With the exception of May, the letter "r" is only in the school months. Who woulda thunk?