Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spinning Class

As some of you know I'm training for a triathlon and was recently asked to write an article about a few local female triathletes. One of the women teaches a local spinning class at "The" nicest health club in town (the Rochester Athletic Club). She offered me a free pass to her next class and to this nice health club so I can meet her and try out spinning. The catch was, it started at 5:30 AM! I'm not a morning person, but I've been wanting to try to see if I can get my exercise done in the morning because I'm at the phase of my training where I'm combining two of the three events each time I work out. It is really taking a crunch out of the little family time we have in the evening. So, I managed to get up, but was running late of course. I ran into the health club, had to sign my life away on a bunch of forms to get this pass and the guy at the counter pointed me in the direction of the spinning class. Even though I was still groggy, He CLEARLY said, "Follow this rail, go through the door, TAKE A RIGHT, go down the hallway, and through the door into the class!" Through the door was a hallway. There was a door on the left and one on the right. The one on the right looked more like a stairwell exit, but I followed his instructions, and went through it, thus setting of some alarm! Nice. What did I do? Ran as fast as I could through the other door into the classroom.

The morning did not get any better. Recently, I was feeling very confident about my training. Wednesday I swam the half mile in 20 minutes, and then ran a mile and half (I only need to run 3 for the triathlon) in 16 minutes. Well, this class brought me back to reality. I was beet red and struggling to breathe normally. I kept wondering if we would ever climb the imaginary hill the instructor keep talking about. Personally, I would avoid a hill if possible, especially, if it was one this big! I was pedaling fast because I kept thinking security would come get me at any second for setting off the alarm. Geez. Well, last night I was sitting on an ice pack and am sitting on one now as I type. The last time I had to sit on an ice pack was after bringing home our first child from the hospital. So, no more spinning class for me and I'm looking into the race course of the triathlon to see if it has any hills!

Oh, by the way, I'm confident in my upcoming Duathlon. I'm the only female in my age group so far, which means, I automatically win the "best" in my age group award. You can't beat that!

No comments: