Monday, April 1, 2013

My Best Friend, My Sister





 I still am trying to process it. I am still shocked, angry, and heavy with sadness. My sister suddenly passed away a few weeks ago. She had broken her leg by falling down the stairs 10 weeks ago. She had to have major surgery on it. One day from getting her cast off, numerous blood clots traveled to her lungs. I am including the obituary that was in the paper below.


"Christine Maria Hammes, 40, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, March 13, 2013. Christine was born on October 2, 1972 to Wayne and Mary Hunt. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in Physical Therapy. On May 4, 1996 she was united in marriage to Brian Hammes. She worked at the Bridgewood Nursing and Rehab Center.

Christine was a loving wife and dedicated mother and she will be sorely missed each and every day. She had many hobbies and enjoyed reading, making jewelry, photography, playing the piano, singing, and scuba diving. Most of all she enjoyed spending time with her family and friends and that time will be greatly treasured. Christine was a member of Faith Lutheran Church." 


 An hour before work, I received the news. The next several days were spent arranging the funeral and the burial. Currently I am back in Appleton hanging out with my niece during our spring break and going through countless drawers, closets, and cabinets as we sort through her things.  I keep wondering when my heart will  heal. All I have is the beautiful hope of spring coming soon and knowing that I will see her again some day.  I am blown away at how many lives that she touched. My heart melted to hear little Sophia praying with me last night. She said, "God, tell mom to tell Jesus that I love him."

No comments: