Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mikayla's Toothless Grin and Probably "Too Much Information" About Me

Well, Mikayla's front top tooth came out last week. We were eating pizza and watching TV. Mikayla said, "I got a crunchy part of my pizza. Nate and I looked at each other with the same thought of "Huh?" Her other top front tooth and another bottom one are loose. I'm starting to loose track on what's a new permanent tooth and what's still a baby tooth because her new teeth still look pretty small to me. This isn't the best picture, but was taken minutes after we discovered what the crunchy part of the pizza really was.



I've had a crazy week. I'm still run down from being sick a few weeks ago. I think I just never got caught up on the sleep I needed. I called my doctor Monday morning because I've struggled last month and this month with a very sore spot on my breast. I had it checked out and to be sure, I had to have a mammogram the next day. I'm fine, I just should cut down on my caffeine and get a good fitting bra (which I can't seem to find...that's what nursing two kids does I guess).

The whole mammogram experience was um, different. I filled out this form in the waiting room. One of the questions was, "Do you have implants?" Wow, I can't imagine what happened before they added that one to the questionnaire! SPLAT! (Or perhaps sounded like my bike tire does when it goes flat before a triathlon.PPffffffff) Then, I'm escorted into "the room." I walk in and there is a sea of women sitting around wearing their blue paper gown tops. Some are doing a puzzle, some are watching TV, some are reading. I felt like I just was admitted into some secret ya ya sisterhood club. Next, was the challenge to figure out how to wear a gown with 3 arm holes. Who's idea was that? They needed some instructional video in the dressing room. When I was finally called into the other room for my actual mammogram, it was weird. They get you in this crazy position. "Turn this way, arch your shoulder, bend backwards, look cross eyed, okay, now hold your breath." I bet they have a secret contest to see who can get their patient into the funniest position. A few minutes of going back to the sea of women waiting area, the lady comes back out and asked me if I was warm enough. Yes, that was nice of her, but honestly, my first thought was, "Could she tell?" I crossed my arms in front 0f me (in case) and assured her that I was just fine.

I received a pamphlet when I left. This is my "favorite" suggestion: "When all other therapies have failed to relieve breast pain, some women consider having one or both breasts surgically removed." What!? Seriously, I guess who needs them, huh? After you're done nursing your kids and you know you're not going to have any more, I guess they're just "decoration." Wow, thanks for the suggestion.

You know, just like after you have a child, you feel like you now know something and have accomplished something that other women haven't. Yes, perhaps, I was part of a secret society of the ya ya sisterhood. One that meets once a year (hopefully beginning for me after the age of 40 next time) at your local hospital. : )


Tomorrow I have an appointment with the hand surgeon to discuss further my surgery I'm going to set up for my wrists. It took 1/2 an hour this morning to get all of the feeling back into my right one. I feel like I'm on a deadline to get Ellie potty trained here because I know I can't change a messy diaper very well when I'm healing from it.

Oh, and guess what?! Nate has a business trip to Disney World and is staying at the Grand Floridian Hotel for a week. He talked me into going with him (no kids). We will be flying out of Minneapolis together about 3 hours after my indoor triathlon on April 18th. That's great incentive to have a good finish time-huh! I hope I can relax about how the kids are doing and about how much I will miss them. I've never left them more than 2 nights before. (Nate, Do you have that appointment set up to get our will done yet?!)

1 comment:

Karin said...

Your TMI had me cracking up!!! : )