Please don't think I'm bragging by mentioning the following. Having a completer is nice, but can get annoying (waiting for her to complete an activity to her satisfaction while you're waiting by the door to go somewhere...)
Elyana insists on shutting down her computer when she's done playing a game (she insists on getting her PC back to the main screen and says, "Shutting down.") Her favorite website is StarFall.com. She picks up her toys, putting them in their proper places before moving on to something else. When she's done wearing her rain boots, she insists on putting them back on the shelf where they go. She has to be the one to close a door or gate and the one to turn off the light at bedtime. I'm sure I'm forgetting others...
I've been reading several potty training books and they all have a section that says if your child likes to put things in their proper places that they will be easy to potty train. The theory is that you tell them that poop or pee does not belong in the diaper, but in the toilet. They are supposed to want to do the proper thing and go potty to "put things where they belong." If my child is a completer, then why does this concept not work with her?! I think it should mention that by being a completer, this means that your child is also strong willed and controlling. Elyana will go potty only if I dangle a baggie of M & M's in front of her. She has learned to pee a little and ask for a treat. She then pees the rest and asks for another treat, thus getting 2 out of the deal. Yesterday in a store, she pointed to a huge bag of Skittles and said, "Those would make good potty treats!"
You're a very clever little girl, Ellie and this is why I'm frustrated teaching you to go potty. Someday I know it will be YOUR decision, not my idea and we're home free.
2 comments:
that is quite a kid you've got there! oh man, good luck!
oh potty training!! Very frustrating endeavor! That's one milestone I'll never be sorry to have "behind" me! (pun intended) :-)
Post a Comment