Friday, December 5, 2008

Just Call Me Head Wound Ellie!

Wow, two posts in one day! Sometime after lunch, Ellie was playing on the little slide we borrowed from my sister. It was a tad too close to our coffee table and she managed to somehow fall off the slide and onto the coffee table corner. I didn't actually see how she fell and wasn't too worried at first. I cuddled her for a few minutes and she stopped crying. I thought it was weird how long she wanted to keep snuggling with me and even opened my big mouth to Nate on the phone saying, "Wow, it took a fall off the slide to settle her down finally! She's like a different kid!" Half and hour later is when I noticed about a quarter sized area of dried blood on the back of her head. I tenderly moved her hair aside and noticed the gash. I was pretty upset since I have a blood phobia. I called our doctors nurse and went over all the routine questions. The first one was typical, "Is there any abuse in the home." The second one was odd, "Are you concerned about how the scar will look as she grows up." My kid has a head wound and I'm wondering how to handle the situation, I could care less if the back of her head gets a bad scar! Eventually, the nurse and I decided that Elyana would be okay and I would bathe her head and get some cream on the wound.

Let me tell you, that was huge for me to do. I had to stop a lot, take deep breaths to avoid passing out. Ellie didn't even seem to notice my drama as she kept playing with her new bathtub crayons (side note here, bathtub crayons make a big mess, don't buy them!). I got her all cleaned up and treated. Proud of myself, I laid her carefully down to get her diaper on and dressed. Laying her down caused the thing to reopen and bleed all over again. Feeling emotionally drained by this point, I called my friend, Karin who came over. Thank you, thank you, Karin. My favorite moments when you came over are:

1) When Ellie did this upside down thing on her little chair, "Watch this Karin!" Great, that made the stupid wound bleed again, and on the chair. . .

2) When I was on the phone with the nurse again because of the reopening, you decided to speed up the clotting process by spinning Ellie around and around while blowing on her head. That was hilarious!

The nurse decided we should just bring Ellie in and make sure she was okay. Thanks again to Karin who watched Mikayla for me! I was a bit late for the appointment because I was smart to pick up Nate from work on the way there. The doctor gave me way too much information about head wounds and when he showed me how the wound would look healed if we used the human tissue glue and how it might be oozy for a day or so, I felt myself passing out slowly. He shoved some antibacterial cream samples in Nate's hand and grabbed me a pillow. I felt pretty dumb, but I had warned him I was squeamish.

We got home and I had a couple hours to clean blood off some furniture and make an appetizer for our cul de sac Christmas party. We decided to not get a sitter this year since we never stay too long anyway. I'm glad we didn't as I wanted to keep an eye on Ellie anyway. I felt a little weird since it was typically an adults only party. Oh well. I just got Ellie down for the night and am slowly unwinding, trying to find the positives of the day. I decided that a bone break would be way more horrific to deal with than a head wound. I pray tomorrow will be an easier day. I'm going to make Nate bathe Head Wound Ellie tomorrow.

1 comment:

Hanne said...

Oh, Hon! I am so sorry you had to deal with that! I remember freaking out when Michael had his first headwound (yeah, first of 3!) I was shaking and everything, so I know I have made the right decision not to become a nurse or an EMT:)

Hope she is doing ok now.I did not see her at church at all.