Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas With Nate's Family

After Christmas, we headed to Oakdale, WI to see Nate's family. I wish the pictures my cell phone took had turned out better. We made the traditional Swiss douba (bread in the shape of a dove). I'm finally getting better at it.  They had some dough that no one could work with and they let me have it.  I got it moist enough to work and created a delicious candy cane bread. The girls enjoyed their time with their cousins. I love that they are getting to know them better and better. I didn't get that opportunity growing up as mine were very far away. I'm realizing since my sister died, how important family is.  Mikayla realized this too. After the family gift opening, Christmas story and poetry reciting, and Christmas carols, she told me it made her miss Christine.  She said that she didn't get to know Christine as well as she would have liked and she will miss not getting to celebrate Christmas with her anymore.  It made us smile to know that Mikayla has realized the importance of spending time with family.  We have all learned a lesson this year...life is so short and everyday needs to be lived intentionally. That is my goal for 2014.
Elyana's bread douba.


Cousins.

The girls, Lindsay and I made some awesome snowmen.

Nate's niece, Micah was part of a neat Bethlehem market at her church. The church was set up like a real market in Jesus day. The girls got to see how they would make and sell pottery, staffs, oils, yarn, dye, etc.


No comments: