Saturday, April 17, 2010

Adventures in Allergy Testing

Ellie had such a bad winter with colds that the doctor referred us to get her tested and Mikayla wakes up every morning with itchy watery eyes and sneezing. So, the day of our appointment finally came and after a busy morning, I picked up Mikayla early from school and headed to Mayo Clinic. As usual, it took forever to find a place to park and we hurried in.

Because I have such a bad history and get too freaked out with needles, Nate met us there. We waited over 1/2 hour to be called in. Ellie was getting crabby and almost fell asleep in my arms by the time the doctor came in. After he examined both of them, we were asked to get a separate appointment and wait once again for the testing. It took so long that Nate had to go back to work for a meeting. So, I had my hands full by the time we were called in for the worst of it all.

Ellie eagerly volunteered to go first. The kid actually giggled while they were poking her with the needles. Then for my drama queen. Man she carried on and on. Ellie walks over to her during it, coyly blows on her tested arm and says, "It's no big deal Kayla." Then she makes this crazy funny face to make Mikayla laugh. While we were sitting waiting for the spots to react, Mikayla is still carrying on. It was the end of the day on a Friday so the nurses had nothing else to do but try to distract the kids. "Do they get along?" they asked me. I had to laugh. "Sometimes, but guess who the instigator is when they don't," I replied. Mikayla points to Ellie immediately. Ellie licking her sucker coolly says, "No, it's Grandma."

As we're leaving the Mayo building, the girls had to look at the "big man statue" before they left. (Please click on this link to view the statue...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93051314@N00/2046007969/


Ellie waves, "Goodbye naked man. Goodbye man's big 'ginner' (Ellie's nickname for um, something...) leaf." There I was in the middle of a busy hospital, exhausted from my ordeal with the kids and I swear, I laughed so hard. I love it when one moment lifts you up, reminding you what your life with the kids is all about.

By the way, they don't have a single allergy.

No comments: